What's Happening at DCS
What’s Happening at DCS 2020-2021
- September 1 - First day of school for the 2020-2021 year. DCS began the year with a staggered start. Students with the surname beginning with A-K returned to school on September 1, 3, & 8. Masks were mandatory for all staff and students in grades 4-12.
- September 2 – Students with surnames starting with L-Z returned to school September 2, 4 & 9.
- September 10 – All students returned to school.
- September 15 – School Picture Day!
- September 16 – First Trojan Tribune newsletter published (school newspaper is published once a month).
- September 21 – Volleyball Academy skills development program began, including grade 6 this year! No competitions with other schools was permitted.
- September 29 – PAC (Parent Advisory Council) held their first meeting of the year through Google Meet.
- September 30 – Orange Shirt Day. Terry Fox Run was held today. Classes went out separately (sticking with their cohorts) for a walk/run around the Village.
- October 2 – HS Awards Night was held in the Small Gym at 7:00pm. The Awards Night was broadcast live on Facebook.
- October 3 – Grad 2020 Commencement Exercises were held in the Small Gym at 5:00pm. Guests were seated at tables to watch the Grand March into the gym, Toasts, Speeches, Presentations and Grad Walk Off. No dinner or dance were held this year. Grad 2020 was broadcast live on Facebook.
- October 8 – School picture retakes, DCS Celebrates (monthly celebration of students nominated by teachers for being dedicated, showing school spirit and/or citizenship). This year, instead of an assembly, our principal traveled from class to class to deliver the awards. The event, sponsored by Delburne Service Center, was broadcast live on our school Facebook page! Terry Fox Ice Cream Treats were delivered to classrooms who collected at least $2 per child.
- October 22 – Parent/Teacher Conferences were held by telephone or Google Meet.
- October 29 – Annual General PAC meeting was held at the school (Learning Commons) and through Google Meet, 6:30pm.
- October 30 – We were all excited to have our first “Hot Lunch Program” meal delivered (PAC volunteers) to the students from Subway. Halloween celebrations were held - students encouraged to wear costumes for the day. Costume parades and contests were held, keeping with COVID guidelines. Costume contest was broadcast on our Facebook page as no spectators were allowed to watch this year.
- November 4 – DCS Celebrates Virtual Assembly was held at 8:45pm, sponsored by Old Bank Bakery.
- November 10 – Remembrance Day Virtual Ceremony was held at 11:00am through Google Meet this year. Students remained in their classroom and participated in a solemn recognition of the sacrifices made for our country. Parents and community members were welcome to follow along using a Google Meet link.
- November 11-15 – Fall Break
- November 23 – December 6 – Virtual Scholastic Book Fair
- November 26 – Hot Lunch Program was Pizza or Spaghetti from Boston Pizza. Virtual PAC Meeting was held at 6:30pm.
- November 30 – January 8 – Grade 7-12 students began at home learning (Google Classroom) after Alberta Government announced new public health measures on November 24th. Grades K-6 continued in school learning until December 18th.
- December 1 – Christmas Door Decorating officially began at DCS, to welcome the holiday season.
- December 10 – Festive Headgear Day. Staff and students wore Santa hats, antlers…
- December 17 – Ugly Christmas Sweater Day.
- December 20 – Christmas activities were held throughout the day and staff and students were encouraged to wear pyjamas.
- December 21-January 1 – Christmas Break.
- January 4-8 – All students participated in at home learning for this week.
- January 11 – All students were back to in school learning!
- January 21 – 27 – Exam week for grades 10-12.
- January 28 – Virtual PAC meeting at 6:30pm.
- January 31 – Semester Break (school organizational day for staff). No school for students.
- February 1 – First day of Semester 2.
- February 4 – DCS Celebrates virtually, sponsored by Servus Credit Union
- February 5 – Collaboration Day (no school for students).
- February 8-10 – High School Leadership students sold Valentine Candy Grams for $2.00, to be delivered on February 12.
- February 10, 11 – Grad Photos sessions were held in The Lab.
- February 12 – Hot Lunch was Boston Pizza or Spaghetti. Valentine COVID safe activities were held in classrooms.
- February 15-19 – Winter Break
- February 18, 19 – Teachers’ Convention was held with virtual sessions this year.
- February 22 – Ice Sports Week 1 began, with Phys Ed classes being held at the arena. Skating was held indoors with broom ball outside on the outdoor rink. Hockey Skills 4-week afterschool program began. Program held M/W/F with only cohort groups on ice each day.
- February 24 – Pink Shirt Day. Students and staff were encouraged to wear a pink shirt to support being kind to each other.
- February 26 – Grade 5 Volleyball Skills program began, running every Friday until the end of April from 3:15-4:15pm.
- March 4 – first day of March Madness – staff and students dressed up for 100 Day (what they thought they would look like in 100 years). DCS Celebrates Virtual Assembly sponsored by Barb Marian.
- March 10 – March Madness – staff and students dressed up for PJ Day (wear pyjamas to work).
- March 16 (2020) – one year ago today, Government of Alberta closed all K-12 schools until further notice due to COVID-19. Grad Photos were taken at the school.
- March 17 – March Madness – St. Patrick’s Day - staff and students wore green. Grad photos were taken at school.
- March 18 – Parent/Teacher Conferences were held afterschool. Conferences were held over the phone due to COVID-19.
- March 22 – Ice Sports Week 2 began, with Phys Ed classes being held at the arena.
- March 25 – March Madness – staff and students dressed up for Tight/Bright/Beach Day. PAC meeting was held virtually at 6:30pm.
- April 1 – Hot Lunch was brought in from Cobblestone Court Restaurant in Delburne. Easter Egg Hunt was held for students, organized by the High School Leadership team.
- April 7 – DCS Celebrates Virtual Assembly, sponsored by the Carratt Family.
- April 19-25 – Spring Break
- April 30 – Students and teachers took part in a Community/School Yard Clean Up in the afternoon.
- May 3 – Bus Driver Appreciation Day. Students made cards for their bus drivers.
- May 4 – Grade 3 class went swimming at the Three Hills Aquatic Centre
- May 5 – Students and staff wore hats to support Hats on for Mental Health. Grade 4 class went swimming at the Three Hills Aquatic Centre
- May 6 – DCS Celebrates Virtual Assembly sponsored by Delburne Service Center. Grade 5 class went swimming at the Three Hills Aquatic Centre. PAC meeting was held virtually at 6:30pm.
- May 10-20 – School went to “at home” learning.
- May 10 – Golfing with Gib (Golf Canada learn to Golf Program) started grades 4-6. Mr. Gib Andruski and Mr. Jeff Anderson ran the program which ended up playing a few holes at Fawn Meadows.
- May 27 - PAC meeting was held virtually at 6:30pm.
- May 28 – Spirit Day…staff and students wore their favourite team jersey.
- Throughout June many classes took advantage of Field Trips to the Three Hills Aquatic Centre and Delburne’s Spray park.
- June 2 – Welcome to Kindergarten Night was done virtually this year. New students met the teacher and did a few planned activities virtually.
- June 9 – DCS Celebrates Virtual Assembly took place sponsored by the Carratt Family. Sponsor Night for the Soap Box Derby. This event was held outside. The soap boxes were spread out along the sidewalk and sponsors did a drive-by to see all the decorated soap boxes and their teams.
- June 10 – Soap Box Derby Day. Grade 9’s raced their soap boxes they made last year (soap box cancelled in 2020 due to COVID). In the afternoon grade 8’s raced their soap boxes. This event was filmed on facebook.
- June 11 – Grade 5 Track & Field Academy began afterschool. Held Fridays until the end of the school year.
- June 14-15 – Youth Empowerment Equine Program was held at the Delburne Arena for grade 4-6.
- June 15 – Field Day for grades 3-5 in the afternoon. HS Leadership students organized this event.
- June 17 – Field Day for grades K-2 in the afternoon. HS Leadership students organized this event. PAC meeting was held virtually at 6:30pm.
- June 18 – Food Truck Friday. Grade 7’s worked on this project over the spring, learning how to run a Food Truck. Six flat plywood trucks were set up in the large gym, offering a wide variety of foods during lunch. Grade 3-5 students held a Talent Show outdoors.
- June 21 – As part of the Food Truck CTS program, grade 7’s invited a real food truck from Red Deer (Taco monster) to come to our school and serve the staff and students. Grade 7’s were able to observe how their business was run. Last Day of classes for grades 6-12. Middle School Awards were held outdoors at the ball diamond. Grade 6-8 students and their teachers were in attendance. Yearend final exams started for grades 6-12.
- June 25 – Graduation Ceremony for Class of 2021. Graduation was held, starting at 4:30pm, in the large gym with COVID protocols in place.
- June 29 – Last day for students. Early dismissal at noon. K-4 and MS Final Report Cards.
- June 30 – Organizational Day. Last day for staff.
What’s Happening at DCS 2019-2020
- September 3 - First day of school for students! The Chinooks Edge School Division COLT members welcomed the students back. Students attended Welcome Assemblies throughout the morning for each division in the school.
- Volleyball tryouts began…ended up with 4 teams: Grade 7 Girls, JH Girls, JH Boys and SH Girls.
- September 6 –SH Girls Volleyball season under way with a tournament at U of A, Edmonton.
- September 11 – Hot Dog Wednesdays began for the year ($1.50 each). The Running Club (50 students) started to practice for cross country runs throughout the fall in Red Deer, Innisfail and Ponoka!
- September 13 – Friday Hot Lunch program began for the year. Every Friday we have school, a Hot Lunch is available at reasonable prices for staff and students. Middle School students took part in an Identity Activity “Minute to Win It” in the rain! Five students on our SAT team went to Edmonton to assist in Kaleido Arts Family Fest and gain some hands on live event experience.
- September 16 – SH Girls Volleyball hosted a league game in Large Gym.
- September 17 – School Picture Day!
- September 18 – Grade 10 hiking trip to Coliseum Mountain, Nordegg. SH Girls Volleyball hosted a league game in Large Gym.
- September 19 – Annual Pancake Breakfast and Open House. Parents and students started the day with a free breakfast then parents could wander the halls, tour classrooms and meet their child/children’s teachers. We also held the Terry Fox Run at 11:00pm with community members welcome to join in. Grade 1 & 2 partnered with grade 9 Leadership students! Water and tattoo stations were available along the route!
- September 20 – Grade 7-9 volleyball players participated in the RDC Volleyball Tournament.
- September 23 – Skateboard Residency for grades 4-12 at our local Skatepark. SH Girls Volleyball hosted a league game in Large Gym.
- September 24 – Elementary Cross Country Running Club participated in the Dawe Run, Red Deer.
- September 25 – Grade 3/4/5 Field Trip to Blackfoot Crossing, Siksika. Grade 11 hiking trip to Valley of the Larches, Lake Louise. SH Girls Volleyball hosted a league game in Large Gym.
- September 27 – High School Celebrations 2018-2019 was held in the small gym. Academic awards were given out to students.
- September 30 – Orange Shirt Day, in recognition of acknowledging residential schools. Grade 3’s started milk delivery to K-7 students!
- October 1 – MADD Canada Assembly in the afternoon. Academy Skateboard Collective Residency came to DCS to work with 4-12 students, teaching them the finer details of skateboarding.
- October 2 – Bus Evacuation practices were held in parking lot. Grade 3 & 4’s went to the Westerner in Red Deer for Rocktober Field Trip.
- October 3 – DCS Celebrates Assembly was held in the Large Gym at 8:45, sponsored by the Servus Credit Union. Grade 2-6 Cross Country runners participated in a Fun Run in Innisfail, as well as our grade 7-9 running team at CENNA run.
- October 8 – Elementary Running Club participated in the Dawe Run, Red Deer.
- October 8-17 – Scholastic Book Fair was held in the Learning Commons.
- October 10 – Parent/Teacher Conferences were held after school. Students Matter meetings took place at Division Office in Innisfail. Our 2 student representatives participated.
- October 21 – School Picture Retake Day!
- October 22 – WE Day field trip to Rogers Place, Edmonton.
- October 24 – Grade 10 Big History Field Trip to Royal Alberta Museum in Edmonton.
- October 29 – First PAC meeting of the year was held at 6:30pm in the Learning Commons.
- October 31 – Halloween activities started at noon with lunch parties in the Primary classes and a Costume Fashion Show (grades 6-12) in the Large Gym. Other activities (games, haunted house) throughout the school started at 2:00pm.
- October WE Scare Hunger Campaign…WE Club collected food for our local Food Bank.
- Our main school fundraisers were held in October. We offered Granny’s Fudge, a variety of Mixing Spoon food items and DFS gift items.
- November 5 – DCS Celebrates Assembly was held, sponsored by Delburne Service Center.
- November 7 – Remembrance Day Assembly was held in the Large Gym with dignitaries from the Legion, Red Deer County, Fire Department and many parents and community members were in attendance. Students participated singing songs and reciting poems.
- November 8-12 – Fall Break.
- November 13 – ELAA event was held in the Small Gym for grades 9-12. This is an exhibition of post-secondary institutions.
- November 14 – Legion Guest Speakers came in to talk to the Grade 5 students.
- November 21 – PAC Meeting was held at 6:30pm.
- November 26 – Green Certificate meeting was held for parents and students.
- Basketball Season began with 2 teams: JH Girls and JH Boys.
- Roots of Empathy program started with the grade 1 students.
- Door Decorating has officially begun for the holiday season!
- Grade 5’s walked around town shoveling sidewalks and giving out gift bags containing Christmas treats they made.
- December 5 – DCS Celebrates Assembly was held at 12:45 sponsored by Barb Marian.
- December 6 – Grade 5 classes hosted the Lost Treasure Sale this year, where students could come and do some Christmas shopping. Items were donated by community members and sold for $1 or $2.
- December 10 – Our Students Matter students had a meeting through Google Hangout.
- December 12 – Safe Riders Presentation for all students.
- December 13 – Grad 2020 Alumni Hockey Game Fundraiser was held at the Delburne Arena, consisting of a ham supper, hockey game (current students vs. DCS alumni and staff), silent auction and chuck-a-puck (sponsored by Servus Credit Union).
- December 14 – Grade 8 CTF class created Happy Holiday Packages to sell to the community at Snowflake Saturday. They consisted of a cedar Christmas tree candle holder, 2 handmade Christmas cards and baking for $10.00 each! The money raised went to the school Breakfast Program and the Delburne Food Bank.
- December 16-20 – Dress for the Holidays all week!
- December 18 – Photos with Santa were taken at lunch in the Learning Commons, $2.00 a photo.
- December 19 – Primary Christmas Concert (K-2) was held with a Dress Rehearsal at 1:30 and Evening Performance at 7:00pm. No admission, but visitors were encouraged to bring an item or monetary donation to the local Food Bank. Big history class went on a Field Trip to Military Museum in Calgary.
- December 20 – Christmas activities were held all day and staff and students were encouraged to wear pyjamas! Leadership students handed out treats to all students. Activities included skating, Christmas movies, games in both gyms, Christmas colouring, cookie decorating.
- December 21-January 5 – Christmas Break.
- January was exam month! Diploma Breakfast Specials were served on exam days for $5. Also, January was a busy month for our basketball teams, between practices and games!
- January marks the month to open registrations for Fall Kindergarten students.
- Grade 6 & 7 worked on Mission Possible Projects and sold cupcakes at lunch. Profits went to the Delburne Food Bank.
- January 10 – The Hockey Skills Program kicked off (6 sessions) at 6:30am at the Delburne Arena. Students participating also received breakfast after on ice time.
- January 11 – Outdoor Ed 30 held a Bottle Drive to raise money for upcoming trips. They raised nearly $900.00 on a very cold Saturday!
- January 17 – Canadian Singer/Songwriter Ryan Laird came to perform and speak to our students, despite the freezing cold weather!!! Ryan was brought in as part of our new YES Program. After his performance in the Small Gym, our annual school group photo was taken in the large gym. Staff and students formed the word YES.
- January 20 – Grades 3, 4 & 5 began swimming lessons (6 sessions in total) in Three Hills.
- January 23 – Last day of classes for grades 9-12. PAC meeting at 6:30pm in the Learning Commons.
- January 31 – Semester Break…no school for students!
- February 3 - Semester 2 began with an assembly for the High School students, discussing the new semester.
- February 4, 5 – PAC and parent volunteers worked 2 casinos in Red Deer.
- February 6 – DCS Celebrates Assembly sponsored by Delburne Service Center.
- February 7 – Middle School Field Trip to the Collicutt Centre in Red Deer, for an activity day.
- February 10-13 – Fun Curling Bonspiel after school for grades 4-12. Each day the teams dressed up according to the theme of the day and ended the bonspiel with a Pizza Party and prizes for all participants!
- February 12, 13 – Grad Photos sessions were held on the stage.
- February 11- 13 – SH Leadership sold roses & carnations at lunch for Valentine’s Day delivery.
- February 14 – Many classes held Valentine’s Day lunches.
- February 17-21 – Winter Break
- February 20, 21 – Teachers’ Convention
- February 26 – Pink Shirt Day in support of choosing kindness at school.
- February 27 – Family Fun Night was held from 5:30-7:30pm in the school. Board games, pickleball and badminton were some of the activities! This fun night was sponsored by FCSS, YES, B & G Club, FSW and PAC. PAC monthly meeting was held at 6:30pm in the Learning Commons. Everyone was welcome!
- March Madness –Tuesdays in March staff and students dressed up according to the theme that day -Beach Day, Twin Day (Go Green Day, Tight & Bright Day, PJ Day).
- March 3 – DCS Celebrates monthly assembly sponsored by the Carratt family. Internet Safety presentations were held for grades 4-9.
- March 5 – Middle School Ski trip to Nakiska. Grade 9 Outdoor Ed snowshoeing trip to Kananaskis. HS Paleontology Field Trip to the Tyrell museum in Drumheller.
- March 10 – Badminton season started. Junior team grades 6-8 practiced Monday/Wednesdays, Senior team grades 9-12 practiced Tuesday/Thursdays.
- March 12 – Josten’s Ring Rep came to show Grads the latest in Grad rings, jackets…
- March 13 – Grade 5 “How Do I Act Online” presentation.
- March 16 – Government of Alberta closed all K-12 schools until further notice due to COVID-19.
- March 18, 19 – Parents/students were allowed to enter the school to pick up belongings. School set up a schedule for when they could enter the facility.
- March 23 – At-home learning began. Teachers connected with students electronically! Families were allowed to sign out a chromebook for additional support with at-home learning.
- March 23 – 27 – Remaining student belongings were bagged, labeled and ready for pick up in the Large Gym.
Staff and students were using Facebook/Instagram for a fun way to keep in touch with daily themes
- April 2 – PAC held it’s first on-line meeting at 6:30pm
- April 6 - Pictures of Pets
- April 7 - Broncos Day - Humboldt Bronco/Organ Donation/Sticks Out/Green Shirts
- April 8 - Acts of Kindness
- April 9 - Virtual Easter Eggs
- April 10 - Build a Blanket Fort
- April 14-17 – Spring Break (no at-home classes)
- April 20 - Crazy Hair (Self Isolation Hair)
- April 21 - Two Cents Tuesday (Share a positive quote, idea, meme to be positive)
- April 22 - Admin Support Professional Recognition
- April 23 - Throwback Thursday 1 (Staff submit pictures from the past and people guess who)
- April 24 - Funky Hat Friday
- April 27 - Music Monday (Share your favorite song or music video)
- April 28 - Decades Day (50s/60s/70s/80s)
- April 29 - Workout Wednesday (Show or tell us how you are staying active)
- April 30 - Throwback Thursday 2
- May 4 - Star Wars Day (May the 4th Be with You - dress up, share a Star Wars quote etc.)
- May 5 - Cinco De Mayo (Tropical, Tacky Tourist, Fiesta Gear)
- May 6 - Weird Wednesday (Share a strange moment from at-home learning)
- May 7 - Throwback Thursday 3
- May 8 - Celebrating Moms
- May 11 - Make It Monday (Show off something you’ve made - a project, a meal etc.)
- May 12 - Limerick Day (send us your original composition)
- May 13 - Wonderful Wednesday - Shout Outs to Special Staff
- May 14 - Throwback Thursday 4
- May 15 - Happy Long Weekend - Let us know your plans for a safe weekend!
- May 19 - Where in the World is Tux (I’ll post a picture of Tux and people guess where he is). For our Graduating Class of 2020, PAC had signs made up for each grad, with their Grad photo. They were displayed on the school ground fence for the week.
- May 20 - Stuffy Day (Send pictures of your stuffy)
- May 21 - Throwback Thursday 5
- May 22 - Fancy Day (originally Grad Day but due to Alberta Health guidelines, we had to reschedule this year’s grad ceremonies)
- May 25 - Mystery Monday (A picture of a magnified object will be posted - guess what it is)
- May 26 - Delburne Day - take a photo in the community, guess where it is
- May 27 - Western Wednesday
- May 28 - Throwback Thursday 6
- May 29 - Make It - Take It (picture of it) - Share It (recipe)
- June 9 – Facebook Live broadcast at 7:00pm. This was held to give parents and students updates for the 2020-2021 school year… teachers, timetable, and re-entry information to date.
- June 11 – Final PAC Meeting of the school year was held on-line.
- June 17 – Last Trojan Tribune school newspaper of the year.
- June 19 – Last day of at-home classes for the year.
- June 22-23 – Return day for chromebooks, textbooks and Library books. MS Honour Roll students picked up their certificates, medals and plaques in Commons Area as DCS could not have an official MS Awards Night.
- June 26 – K-4 Final Report Cards were mailed out.
- June 29 – Organizational Day. Last day for staff. Grades 5-12 final reports were available on PowerSchool.
- June 30 – School closed for the summer.